I finally started using Windows 8 today as it seems like its not going away after all, lol. There are a lot of different features to get used to. Skype, for one, doesn’t work like I’d like it to at all. Skype is an app in Windows 8 that came with my laptop and it functions more like a mobile app than an app for a computer. It wouldn’t let me click and drag a file into a conversation to send that file to someone I was talking to. It won’t let you shrink the window with the exception of using split-screen. These were the main drawbacks to me, so I decided to find out how to use the old non-app version of Skype.
Here’s how to Install Skype without an App:
- Go to your windows main screen and click on the Gear icon which is the PC Settings app.
- Click on “Search and apps” link in the left column.
- Click on “App sizes” in the left column.
- Find Skype in the App sizes dialog to the right and left click it then click on “uninstall”.
- Go to http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi to download the desktop version of Skype which is not the app!
- Find where your file downloaded and click on the skype icon for setting it up.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the old version of Skype and you’re in business!
So, as you can see, it’s not too difficult to get your old Skype back. The instructions above are really easy to follow, so give it a shot. The higher level instructions would be to simply uninstall Skype app and install the desktop version of skype from http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi. Good luck!