When working with Amazon’s EC2 servers, you will need to know how to convert the key file which Amazon allows you to download in .pem format to a .ppk format. You can accomplish this task with the use of Putty and Puttygen, so if you don’t have both, you can get them from:
Convert your file by following the below instructions:
- Run Puttygen.
- From the menu option “Conversions”, select “Import key”
- In the dialog, locate the pem file and “Open” it.
- Change the comment from ‘imported-openssh-key” to a something more descriptive like “my-db-server”
- Optional: Enter a passphrase.
- Create PPK file by clicking on “Save private key”